Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In spring a young man's fancy turns to...

Kick ass red wine from Washington?

I guess I'm not really that young, and while it is kinda sunny outside its really not quite spring yet...but I did just receive a spring release announcement from Betz Family Winery so I've got that going which is nice.

Bob Betz is a local Washington winemaker, Master of Wine, and by all accounts a helluva nice guy. Betz Family Winery really represents what I love about what's going on with Washington wine. As a wine fan I can actually go to the winery, talk to the man about his wine, hang out and have a great time, and leave with some of the best wine being produced anywhere.

In March, Betz will release their two big reds; Pere de Famille and Clos de Betz.
Check out Tanzer's early notes on Pere de Famille:

"Bright, deep ruby-red. Musky, minerally, spicy aromas of blackberry, blueberry, leather and tree bark. Quite penetrating on the palate, with terrific intensity and cut to the black cherry and currant flavors. Denser and larger-scaled than the Clos de Betz. This, too, finishes with excellent cut, growing sweeter and longer as it opens in the glass. There's firm tannic spine here but no impression of dryness 93+"

I'm pretty excited to try these bad boys, and while I don't currently have nearly enough Betz in my cellar I am making room for some of each of the '04 releases.


No comments: