Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What's so great about salmon?

I mean beyond the obvious; omega-3 fatty acids, tender flaky texture, beautiful color and presentation, and of course proximity to my home state.

My business partner brought up an interesting question yesterday, he asked me whether I could differentiate between salmon varieties. When I think about it, I really don't have strong feelings about a particular brand or breed of the fish.

I just plain like salmon. I like Sockeye, I like King. I like Copper River, I like Yukon River. For that matter I've had some pretty good farm raised salmon from Costco (don't tell anyone.)

Recently I had an opportunity to try some salmon from Wild Alaskan Salmon Company www.seabeef.com and I've gotta say it was pretty special. They sent a flash-frozen, perfectly portioned piece of King salmon filet that had to be three inches thick! Before I tried this fish I thought "fresh, never frozen" was the only way to fly, but I learned that flash-frozen is actually less "fishy" because it is immediately processed/frozen at sea rather than making the long trek from fish boat to processor, to shipping facility, to warehouse, to your local supermarket.

My company, www.nwexclusive.com is considering adding this line of salmon to our product catalog because it is special. I'd like to find the perfect Oregon Pinot Noir to complement an alder-smoked chunk of "seabeef" and provide it to our best customers later this spring. Stay tuned...

You know what? i think I'm going to make a reservation at Etta's tonight to satisfy my craving for good salmon. Ever try their "rub-with-love" king salmon with cornbread pudding and shitake mushrooms? RIDICULOUS.

Cheers!

No comments: